Centralized Trash and Recycling Collection
In an effort to increase the amount of recyclable material captured and decrease the amount of materials sent to the landfill, KU has introduced centralized trash and recycling collection. The practice of monitoring one's own waste bins has been shown to lead to more mindful consumption and disposal behaviors. The program also allows maintenance to spend valuable time on more meaningful tasks such as campus beautification.
How it works:
- Each work space on campus should be equipped with a 7-gallon blue recycling bin, or an equivalent bin repurposed with a single stream recycling sticker, as well as a black mini bin for landfill waste. If your work space does not have one or either of these two bins, you can request them from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When either bin is full, take it to your nearest centralized location and empty these individual bins into the larger central one.
- Maintenance will still empty these larger central bins.
- You may wish to take food waste and large items directly to the central location.
- Plastic liners are not provided in order to further cut down on unnecessary waste. Plastic grocery bags make a good substitute - or better yet, skip the bag and dispose of only dry items in your office.
Thank you for your cooperation in helping KU Recycling divert even more valuable materials from the landfill. Please contact email@example.com with any questions or concerns.